Sunday, August 22, 2010

My wife and I are separated. I live in our house and pay all the mortgage payments?

Does she get to claim half of the interest paid on her taxes or can I claim the total amount? She doesn't care if I claim the total amount but is that legal?My wife and I are separated. I live in our house and pay all the mortgage payments?
See IRS pub 504. It has charts that tell you what you can claim.





Note, if you and your wife file MFS and you itemize 'all' of the deductions, she has to itemize too, even if it means putting $0 on her tax return.My wife and I are separated. I live in our house and pay all the mortgage payments?
Who is on the loan? If only you are, then you must claim it all. If it's a joint loan, then it's up to the two of you how to split it.
if you file separate 1 or the other can claim the interest deduction ,yes it's legal. if your on speaking terms why not file jointly and split the refund ,married filing separate is going to tax you bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment