Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Am I a homeowner for tax purposes if I'm on the title but not the mortgage?

My mom and I are on the title, but only she holds the mortgage even though I pay half the monthly mortgage payment, which looks more like rent. She does not live here though, I live here with my family and we have incurred about $20,000 in remodeling expenses. Do I have to claim the property on my taxes or am I considered a renter since I have no legal responsibility to the mortgage? In either scenario can I deduct those remodeling costs?Am I a homeowner for tax purposes if I'm on the title but not the mortgage?
If you are on the tile, you are a homeowner. You do not pay rent.





You should clarify your relationship with your mother as to the shared interest you have in the property. This will be important when you sell it or she dies.





Remodeling expenses are added to the cost basis of the house. They are not expenses per se.





Whoever paid property (real-estate) taxes can deduct them.
  • scary mask
  • buy make up
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment