Wednesday, November 23, 2011

My fiance and i live together, my names not on mortgage, if he dies what happens to house?

Will i be told to move?My fiance and i live together, my names not on mortgage, if he dies what happens to house?
If he dies and you are not in his will it goes to the state -probate. Depending on the relationship you have with his family you may have to fight with them for it. You either do a quick deed and add your name or do a will. But technically speaking until the house is officially paid for it belongs to the mortgage company so the absolute best idea maybe to refinance joint tenancy with right of survivor-ship.My fiance and i live together, my names not on mortgage, if he dies what happens to house?
get married and you'll automatically own half the house and get it when he passes - until then unless you are on the title you are screwed - go to local tax office (or call a title company) and have them put you on the title if you aren't - it's easy to do and doesn't cost much. You can also get private insurance so that in the event one or the other passes the house is paid off in full (well worth the money)
Ok, you do have ownership rights if he dies after your married even if you are not on the deed. These are called ';rights of Dower'; check your state for how much. In my state the wife (regardless of how long married) has dowery rights of 30%. Even if he were to die right now if you keep making the payments the bank will not make you move.
If you are there as a ';common in law'; wife you should be ok. Better if you were named, but only as a wife/ partner not the main person. Thus if he dies and your mortgage insurance is up to date you will get the house gratis.
This happened to me in Ohio. My boyfriend died, I was not listed on the mortgage either, nor was anyone else....the house went to the state of Ohio, and it took me 8 months to get things fixed. I do have the house in my name and my moms.
Does your fiance have a will, stating you inherit the house?


Without a will the house goes to his parents. And they can ask you to leave. If you marry then the house goes to you.
what matters most is who's name is on the title. If he dies and your not on the mortgage, they could force you out, but they would probably rather take your money instead.


good luck
I don't know who's name is on the property title, but if the mortgage is not paid off, the lender will foreclose.
Yup. If your name isn't on the deed, you have no ownership interest (I think). Check with a lawyer in your area.
Ask him to put you on the deed..if not then do NOT marry him.

No comments:

Post a Comment